Responsibilities Towards Classrooms and Building
Students' Responsibilities in the Classroom
- Students will refrain from eating and drinking in any area other than the dining hall.
- Students will be attentive to the teacher, fellow students and the class work at hand.
- Students will arrive promptly to class and must have permission from the teacher to leave the classroom.
- Students will come to class prepared with books, pens, homework, and follow dress guidelines established for activities in Physical Education, Labs, et al.
- Students will raise their hands to respond or comment in class unless the teaching strategy calls for another procedure.
- Students will not engage in academic dishonesty.
- Students will safeguard school property.
- Students will follow all instructions given by substitute teachers and treat them in a courteous and respectful manner.
Students' Responsibilities in the Building
- Students will not bring cell phones, beepers or other prohibited equipment to school without authorization.
- Students need a pass to use the lavatory during class time and may only use designated lavatories.
- Students may only use lockers at the beginning of their school day, the beginning of their lunch band and the end of their school day.
- Students may not loiter in any part of the building or its environs (halls, stairwells, bathrooms, et al).
- Public telephones should be used only during the assigned lunch band. For emergency use during undesignated times, the permission of a supervisor must be granted.
- Students may not litter any part of the building or its environs.
- Students must stay to the right in stairwells and halls.
- Students may not use elevators at any time without an official elevator pass or written authorization from the administration.
- Students will not damage or deface any school property.
- Students may not chew gum anywhere in the building.
- Students may not wear hats or outerwear anywhere in the building.
- Students may not remain in unsupervised areas.
- Students must have/wear appropriate identification at all times in the building.
- Students will refrain from committing acts of violence against classmates or faculty.
- Students are prohibited from ordering food from outside or bringing drinks in glass containers into any area of the building.
- Students will refrain from gambling or playing cards anywhere in the building.
- Students will not bring visitors to school or class unless previously approved by administration.
- Students must return all documents requiring parental signature by the designated date signed by the parent or guardian.
- Students may not eat or drink in any area of the building except the dining hall.
- Smoking is prohibited in the building and on school/college grounds.
- Students will not alter any Townsend Harris High School or Queens College issued identification card or document.
- Students may not talk during fire/shelter drills and must follow all drill regulations.
*Violations occurring on the college campus are subject to Townsend Harris High School and Queens College disciplinary action.