Donate to the PTA
What is the average yearly budget for Townsend Harris?
Around $6.8 million.
Well, Townsend Harris uses around 97% (or $6.6 million) of the budget on salaries, overtime, and other personnel expenses.
Just to let you know, the school uses the remaining 3% on supplies, equipment, access to Naviance and PupilPath, copy machine leases, and books – all of which must be purchased from DOE-contracted vendors.
No, it doesn't.
The school relies heavily on the PTA to raise funds for activities not covered by the regular budget. They include the following items:
- Club and activities
- College trips
- Staff holiday lunch
- PSAL athletic teams
- Athletic Team Awards Night
- Tee-shirts for new students
- Hospitality for PTA meetings
- Steelhawks Robotics team
- Science Olympiad team
- The school's website
- Election Simulation
- Water and granola bars given to students during AP exams
- Color programs for Festival of Nations (FON) and other theater productions
- Costumes, musicians, and programs for school plays such SING! and The Wiz
- Refreshments for representatives attending the College Fair
- Refreshments for visitors from Shimoda High School (our sister school in Japan)
- Refreshments for the open houses (Prospective Students and Accepted Students)
- Recommendation letters for college (Given the time-intensive nature of this very important activity, teachers receive compensation for the letters they write for our children.)
- Specific departmental needs, including volleyballs and orange cones for the Physical Education Department; calculators for the Math Department; cellos, violas, and folders for the Music Department; and headsets for the Language Department, among other needs.
Absolutely! Every dollar really does count. If you eliminated all of the activities listed above, Townsend Harris would be an ordinary high school where students just go to class and study. It wouldn't be the #1 public high school in the state of New York.
Yes, you will find them in our annual budgets. To see them, please click here.
July 1 - April 18
To make the greatest impact, it is best to donate at the beginning of the fiscal year. But we accept donations all year round!
See the instructions below.
THREE WAYS TO DONATE
1 - via PayPal (using your PayPal account, or a Debit or Credit Card through PayPal) — If the PayPal link doesn't seem to be working, please try another browser.
3 - via Check
(a) Complete and print out the 2019-20 Annual Appeal Form on the bottom.
(b) Make a check payable to THHS PTA;
(c) Place the check and form into a sealed envelope (also labeled THHS PTA); and
(d) Tell your child to deliver it to the PTA mailbox (Room 315).
Or you can mail the check and form to:
Townsend Harris High School
Attn: Parent Teacher Association
149-11 Melbourne Ave.
Flushing, NY 11367