Townsend Harris Internet Policy
Internet Access Usage Policy
This document governs the use of Townsend Harris High School's computer facilities. The computer operations staff has the authority to disable logins immediately for failure to comply with this agreement.
Furthermore, failure to comply with this agreement may result in disciplinary and or legal actions. The computer operations staff reserves the right to inspect user's files, should it prove necessary for the security or integrity of the system.
The Townsend Harris High School network offers Internet access for student and faculty use. It has not been established as a public access or public forum. This document is the Acceptable Use Policy for your use of Townsend Harris High School network. it. Signing the form constitutes your acceptance of this policy.
NOTE: Students who have not yet submitted a Computer Use Agreement must still do so.
You may print this document, obtain a parent/guardian signature, and submit this form. Failure to do so will result in disabling this account.
Read the following carefully. When you have finished reading this document and you accept the terms and conditions of it, please sign the form at the end and have your parent or guardian sign. Note that any violation of this policy may result in a loss of all or some computer privileges. Furthermore, an infraction will be reported to school officials and depending on severity, may result in disciplinary and or legal actions.
Students must be complete this form in order to obtain your school network account. Failure to submit the form will prevent you from using computers at school. The Townsend Harris High School network and Townsend Harris High School may place reasonable restrictions on the material you access or post, determine the training you need to have before you are allowed to use the system, and enforce all rules set forth in the school code and the laws of the state of New York. Further, this system may not be used for commercial purposes to offer, provide, or purchase products or services or for political lobbying. Access to the Internet is available through this school only with permission of the principal or his designee and your parents.
- Use of your email account must be consistent with the purposes for which it was intended.
- All computer accounts (logins) are for the use of a single individual, the person for whom the account was approved. Sharing or loaning accounts is strictly prohibited. Likewise, using any account other than your own is strictly prohibited.
- Townsend Harris High School's computer facilities may only be used for lawful purposes. Possession or transmission of any material in violation of US or state regulation is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: copyrighted material (unless authorized by the copyright holder), threatening or obscene material, or material protected by trade secret.
- User agrees that he or she will not use Townsend Harris High School's Email for chain letters, junk mail, "spamming", solicitations (commercial or non-commercial) or any use of distribution lists to any person who has not given specific permission to be included in such a process. User further agrees not to use Townsend Harris High School's Email to send any messages or material that are unlawful, harassing, libelous, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene or otherwise objectionable, material of any kind or nature or that encourages conduct that could constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law or Department Of Education regulation.
- The following are prohibited:
- Any activities which adversely affect the reputation or image of this organization. Such activities must be viewed in context with their audience.
- Any activities which demean or humiliate individual students or teachers.
- Any commercial or political activities whatsoever.
- Users are cautioned that the email system can NOT prevent email which is obscene, offensive or pornographic in nature from being delivered to your account. Your use of your email account constitutes acceptance of this. We ask that such email be deleted from your account immediately.
Publishing your web site on Townsend Harris High School's servers (if this service becomes available) makes your site's contents a reflection not only of yourself, but of the school as a whole. Therefore, misuse of your web site will be met with loss of all computer privileges and any other appropriate disciplinary procedures. The following are NOT allowed:
- pornography or obscenity
- bigotry based on race, religion, sexual orientation, culture, etc.
- material which demeans or humiliates individual students or teachers
- publication of your address or phone number
- commercial activity
- activity which constitutes or contributes to any illegal activity or academic cheating
- any violation of this computer use agreement
Know Your Rights
Your right to free speech, as set forth in the school disciplinary code, applies also to your communication on the Internet. The Internet is considered a limited forum, similar to the school newspaper, and, therefore, Townsend Harris HS may restrict your right to free speech for valid educational reasons.
Search and Seizure
You should expect no privacy of the contents of your personal files on the Townsend Harris High School network file servers. Routine maintenance and monitoring of the system may lead to discovery that you have violated this policy, the school code, or the law. An individual search will be conducted if there is reasonable suspicion that you have violated this policy, the school disciplinary code, or the law. The investigation will be reasonable and related to the suspected violation. Your parents have the right at any time to see the contents of your home directory or e-mail files.
Due ProcessTownsend Harris High School will cooperate fully with local, state, or federal officials in any investigation related to illegal activities conducted through the Townsend Harris High School network. In the event of a claim that you have violated this policy, the school disciplinary code, or the law in your use of the Townsend Harris High School network, you will be given written notice of suspected violation and an opportunity to present an explanation according to school code and/or state and federal law.